10/17/08

A Triumphant Failure

David Letterman may have been funny in the past. I wouldn't know, because in my life time he has been about as funny as a colon polyp, and about as worthwhile. On top of his complete lack of comedic abilities, he is also just plain, flat-out mean. His counterpart, Jay Leno, is about as politically oriented Left as Letterman, but in his bias he isn't vehement. Letterman is antagonistic to the point of venom---when his guest is a conservative/Christian/Republican/Muppet. I can watch Leno and be entertained (refer to my previous post where he hosts Miller recently and the two play ball quite nicely) but Dave is a punk.

Last night McCain went on Letterman, having canceled an appearance a few weeks ago, and the result was the highest rated episode of "The Late Show" since '05 when Oprah came on. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but out of interest I took a look...and it's everything you'd expect. Letterman literally badgers the daylights out of McCain, attacking him left and right--not jokingly mind you--but full on partisan pugilism a la MSNBC. McCain rightly states at the outset in the best joke of the night, "I had so much fun since my last interrogation..." It's just sad to watch really, because Dave is such a tool he doesn't even play ball with McCain.
Take a look for youself. The best I can find is this heavily edited "highlight" reel from last nights show:

No comments: