10/12/08

Hoist the Colors.


I love Pirates. Not real maritime criminals like the Filipinos you hear about every so often hijacking freighters and what-have-you, no...I'm talking about mythological Pirates....I'm talking about Jack Sparrow.
A lot of people are with me on this, just look at the box office for the three Pirates of the Caribbean movies, but a lot of those same people hated on the two sequels. I personally love them, and last night had the opportunity to re-watch the last half of At World's End while doing my cardio, and was utterly moved--almost to tears at moments. Sure the movie was overly long (but I don't think that's a bad thing in general) and sure all the double, triple, and quadrupel crosses got to be a bit much, but the movie still has at its heart a great story with great characters. And its just plain entertaining.

This all brings me to the following scene where one of the two weakest characters from the film (Will and Elizabeth) gives an insperational speech that makes me want to go out and do battle right now with anybody and everybody that would stand in my way.


Elizabeth and Will's story was one of the plot lines that really made the last two films drag a bit, but the pay off in the climax of At World's End is beautiful. The wedding in the middle of the battle with Barbossa preciding is one of the most inspired (albeit absurd) weddings in movie history, and the emotional bang of Jack saving Will by having him stab Davy Jones' heart is pitch perfect.

I'm excited that Pirates 4 is in the works, without Bloom and Knightley, but with Depp firmly in place. Jack is the star of the show, and the fourth movie has a boatload of potential.

No comments: