11/5/08

Into the Jurassic Dark


Sad news, Michael Crichton, famed author/director/producer and father of the "techo-thriller" has passed. At 66, he has been taken from us to write no more. Apparently he was battling cancer, but there are very few details available right now.

Crichton was one of the first real authors I read. In second grade, following the film, I picked up a copy of Jurassic Park and couldn't put it down. I didn't understand half of the words or situations, but I knew it was awesome because it was about dinosaurs. Since then I have reread Jurassic Park countless times, and every other book that Crichton wrote (actually revisited Congo again this summer). All of the books are entertaining, many of them are thought-provoking, and at least two of them are what could be called important works (State of Fear and Next.)

I hope he had something finished before he died that can be left to us, but as it is he leaves behind quite a literary legacy.

No comments: