11/12/08

Get My Play On


A few suprises:

First, it might surprise some of you to learn that I have a (admittedly limited) theatre background. For a short while I worked as a stage manager, and have been involved with the theatre in one way or another since my first year of college. That involvement has slackened as of late, for the movie industry and blogging are both so terribly demanding. However, I still retain an interest.

That having been said, I will be attending a local production being put on by some friends in downtown Atlanta this evening. I too was involved peripherally (I read and critiqued the play, offering some no doubt unheeded suggestions) and therefore have more than a passing interest. I will be taking my theatre background and general brilliance along with me, so you can expect an insightful write-up when I return tonight.

The second surprise is the nature of the performance. It is entitled "Where Hip-Hop Lives" and is a play/spoken word poetry hybrid about, well, Hip Hop. Here is the official description from the writer:

"Art as an Agent for Change Presents..."Where Hip Hop Lives" A socially relevant poetisical (think musical...but replace the music w/ poetry) takes a funny and provocative look at the elements of hip hop culture & where the art is going. Two radio DJ’s struggle with their boss and against their callers to make sense of a society that is steady boxing them in. Is it really as simple as following the music? Touching on race, homophobia and of course,the music, on Nov 12th find out where Hip Hop lives! Featuring.... Paul Grigsby ................ Hetty White ................ Odinaka OD Ezeokoli This event is free and open to the public. Please bring a donation to support Art as an Agent for Change. "

Yeah, I know, words like "socially relevant", "homophobia, and "Hip-Hop" aren't really part of my vocabulary, and under normal circumstances I would be miles away from this thing. However, dear readers, The Free Lancer knows no bounds and I am stepping out for a little "socially relevant" culture. I'll let you know how it goes.

If any of you in the Atlanta area are interested in actually attending the show, it will be performed at the Fulton County Central Library Branch in downtown (right next to the Peachtree Center Marta station.)

No comments: