9/24/08

The House that Ted Built


Today I went on set of the TBS show Movie and a Makeover while it was taping over at Turner Studios in Atlanta.

I was put in contact with the prop master, who is a very kind lady, and she invited me on to meet the crew and try to drum myself up a job. I met the Production Manager who was impressed (as were they all) that I had just driven a grip truck (or van as the case may be) up to Canada and back. Studio people really don't get the freelance scene, so I guess that amount of effort would seem exceptional. The PM gave me her card and told me to send my resume her way...so God willing something will come of that.

I stuck around to watch the taping and was pleasently surprised by the crew, who were a jolly bunch, particularly the two camera operators Ron and Al. Both men are older, maybe forties/fifties, and they kept up a steady banter during the shoot.

Ron: "Al, get that shot medium with thirds."
Al: "I don't know if I can."
Ron: "You could if you were a real camera man."
Later
Al (to the talent): "Mia, I need separation."
Ron: "But Al, she's got separation anxiety."
And so on.

Apparently today was Al's last day, so he, Ron, and some others were heading after the shoot to a Mexican place called Hermanos. Ron and Al put an arm around each other's shoulder as they left crying, "To Hermanos! We're gonna be hermanos!"

I also learned that the so called "experts" (in fashion, beauty, etc.) at least on this show are nothing more then guys or gals who hop on google 20 minutes before the shoot to find some "tips." That and a pretty face will get you anywhere I guess.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.