9/23/08

Canadian Pork


Whenever anyone asks me about Canada, one of the things that is inevitably asked is,
"Did you eat any Canadian bacon?" Or something along those lines.

Interestingly, I did eat bacon in Canada, but it wasn't what is called Canadian bacon. Even in Canada they call "Canadian bacon" Canadian bacon, and other bacon just plain bacon, even though, technically, any bacon from Canada is Canadian bacon. I believe the phenomenon is analogous to "American" cheese.

One of the key components of the world famous Egg McMuffin is the slab of Canadian bacon. I had the opportunity to eat breakfast at a Canadian McDonalds, which are almost as ubiquitous as Tim Hortons (another topic) and I proceeded to order the traditional morning treat. It was prominently featured on the menu with the ingredients proudly enumerated:
English Muffin
Egg
Cheese
Canandian Bacon.
Mind you, this was in Canada. Anyway, the sandwich was prepared and given over for my consumption. I must admit, I was excited. Here I was in Canada, about to eat my first piece of truly "Canadian" Canadian bacon. I slowly removed the wrapper, greeted by a fresh burst of breakfasty steam, smelling of sweet satisfaction. Then I looked at the McMuffin in dismay.

It had sausage on it.

Canada had struck out again.

No comments: