2/10/09

Spare the Rod

This one is for you Chris:
Accordingly to a ridiculously sensationalized article from the local CBS news channel in Chicago, upwards of eight hundred kids in Chicago public schools have reported being beaten by teachers. The first thing that came to my mind was, good, I got beat plenty of times during my tenure in private school and I firmly believe I benefited from corporal punishment. I read through the article that cites such atrocities as teachers giving "100 licks with a belt" or "grabbing the students by the arm forcefully."

Apparently all the hitting couldn't beat good grammar into ten year old Treveon Martin who is quoted as saying:

"He holded my arms and he picked my body up, and then he just slammed me on the desk."

and

"My back really hurted, and then at the end of the day, I had to go the hospital."

and finally the grammatically correct but absurd,

"He hurt my feelings."

The article claims Treveon's (I'm spelling that right) mother took him to the hospital where he was treated for a "contusion on his back." A bruise. His ignorant mother took her equally ignorant child to the hospital (no doubt the ER) where they tied up precious resources in order to treat poor "hurted" Treveon's back bruise. Here is a picture of the victim for you to laugh at with scorn:
Take notice of the hurt feelings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, many times have I had to restrain myself from just such actions. For instance, when I ask someone to sit down and they reply "aight, hang on bra." Or when I ask someone to stop talking and they look at me as if I have terribly inconvenienced them and mumble "you trippin" under their breath.

Anonymous said...

I like how the article states that of the 818 students that made claims, only "586 were determined to be true" but dismisses this as "most" like it's a good truth/lie ratio. Where is the story of the 250 teachers who were falsely accused by these shit-bag students.